Tuesday 27 March 2012

SEW SIMPLE

 THIS IS MY NET LOAD OF SIMPLE THINGS MADE FROM ONE OF THOSE FLEMISH LINEN MATTRESS BAGS I WAS SELLING BY THE DOZEN LAST SUMMER- MOSTLY TO PEOPLE WHO WERE GOING TO INVENT AND SEW SOMETHING SPECIAL!  THIS IS THE LOT I GOT OUT OF ONE DAMAGED ONE WHICH WAS LEFT OVER AND I MADE AS MANY THINGS AS I COULD THAT COULD BE USEFUL, SALEABLE AND GIVEABLE, PRETTY WELL ALL ARE SQUARES SO THERE WAS ONLY A TINY BUNDLE OF STUFF LEFT OVER. 
Above are three different aprons built to last, large chef's apron, large waist apron, and one gardening apron with pockets for gardenalia, all strong and washable, sewn with fawn terrylene thread, natural linen tape, cream cotton tape,  little remnants of dark contrast linen for pockets, dressmakers pins and scissors, one Lervia portable sewing machine which goes with me on holiday!   It gives the security machine a bit of a hiccup going through the airport check out but always gets through o.k. but I have to remember to put my cutting -out scissors in my hold luggage or they would withdraw it immediately!  I take a few extra sewing machine needles (denim jeans type) as the linen is very closely woven and was quite a test when doubled up for a big needle and strong coarse thread.

I still have to cover some wardrobe coat hangers with the last narrow strips!
Small articles above include shopping bag, travel cushion, pair fringed table mats, four needle cases with flannel leaves,  one hottie cover (quilted), bundle of leftovers, pair of elbow patches for my husband's cashmere jersey.    Other possible items could be picnic cutlery bags, small pockets for holiday beads and bling, and larger folding sachets for shirts and underwear which are just wonderful if you travel with many one night stops, - everything stays neat and clean and you don't need to unpack much and nothing gets left behind!  Go back to Blog SO LITTLE TIME to see the original linen sleeping bag liner, which looks sack-like and very dreary.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you and your family are doing well. It always does my heart good to see re-birth of old things! TFS.

    ReplyDelete